Thursday, July 28, 2011

Father, Son, and ....The Holy what???

So if you live in the South in America, there is just about a church on every corner, even in smaller towns. So the majority of America know about God and they have heard the story of Jesus, but when it comes to the Holy Spirit there is usually a silence. The Holy Spirit sometimes becomes that family member that nobody talks about anymore and becomes very uncomfortable if anyone brings it up in public.
Not growing up in Church I knew about God and I have heard that Jesus died for my sins and everything, but I really never heard anything about the Holy Spirit. So after I got saved and started reading my Bible, I noticed that the Holy Spirit was something that Jesus talked about quite often. Jesus even said that it is better that He goes away, so that He can send the Holy Spirit.

Acts 1: 4-5,8
Once when he was eating with them, he commanded them, "Do not leave Jerusalem until the Father sends you the gift he promised, as I told you before.
John baptized with water, but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere--in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

It seems like Jesus was pretty serious about the Holy Spirit in these verses. That He commanded his disciples to wait on the Baptism with the Holy Spirit... why? So they would have power to be a witness to the world. Why are the people of God so quite about the Holy Spirit, when looking at the word of God, He seems like someone we should be seeking after.
 I don't think one thing has divided the Church (big C) as much as the differences on what people believe about the Holy Spirit. I think this is because the enemy understands that if he can divide the Church and have people put the Holy Spirit on the down-low, we will be a people without power. Because what the Holy Spirit gives is power to be a witness for Jesus, and without Him we become a group of people with a belief in something but never do anything about it.
I am not going to tell you what you should believe or not believe about the Holy Spirit, but I will tell you to seek Him... Don't take someone else's belief about it either- search the word of God yourself, read Joel 2, Acts, the letters of Paul and see what God says about the Holy Spirit.

Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit

God Bless
Pastor Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment